Wednesday 3 January 2018

2017 Birding Review

It's that time of the year to do an annual review, of all the excitement and joy that birding had brought us! 2017 was a pretty good year for me, I caught up with a whole range of birds I previously missed and added a few pretty exciting lifers and Hong Kong ticks. As for species counts, this was easily my best year in all my birding years so far, the final count for my year list stands at 306 species, despite the fact that I missed a few rarities here and there plus a few annual birds...Also the fact that I was working full time through most of the year, I felt I did fairly well. Anyway, time to do a count for some of the most memorable birds through the year.

1. Lesser Whitethroat ssp. blythi - Tsim Bei Tsui

This was easily one of the best bird of the year for me, where I stumbled across it while out at work without any binoculars or camera gear, it came so close that I could recognised it with my bare eyes! I managed a photograph a few days later, landing with a respectable record shot of this mega-rarity.


2. Rosy Pipit - Long Valley

Another great surprise found at Long Valley during a remarkable autumn run, this rarity is only the 4th record in Hong Kong and the 2nd autumn record. I could not have asked for more in what was probably the most spectacular November I've ever experienced, this bird was the cherry on the icing! Shame that this guy did not stay longer for others to enjoy though.


3. Baikal Bush Warbler & Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler - Kowloon Bay

A joint title for two amazing rare little warblers which attracted huge attention by finding itself a home at the heart of our city, they were found by birders right in some hedges within a shopping complex at Kowloon Bay; the place you would least expect rarities to turn up. Thousands of people bustling by each day and morning commuters in suits holding starbucks coffee...and there they were, happily foraging in a few hedges and showed as well as anyone could have hoped for. No doubt one of the weirdest birding experience I've ever had.



4. Chestnut-flanked White-eye - Shek Kong Catchment

A species that is usually high prized by birders in Hong Kong, simply because they are rare and yet their carrier species are one of the commonest birds in Hong Kong, therefore you need to make either huge efforts to find one or just pure luck. With great help from John Clough I managed to get a good photo of this rarity. I was quite lucky with this species, of which I encountered three times in total throughout the year.


5. Chinese Blue Flycatcher - Shek Kong Catchment

This rare gem made an appearance for me at Shek Kong Catchment, the bird was notoriously difficult to see despite it being quite stable at one location. I was lucky enough to get a glimpse of it as well as getting a fairly respectable photo record.


6. Fairy Pitta - Ho Man Tin

You know it's a good year when you have a Pitta on your list, and I think every birder would put this bird as one of their most memorable during the year. Who would have thought such a friendly bird would appear in the middle of an urban area, fulfilling most people's dreams in seeing one of these beauties in Hong Kong. Very glad to see one in Hong Kong again after the 2014 bird I found at Tai Po Kau, although nothing could quite top the feeling of finding one by yourself, this friendly one certainly made quite an impression for everyone.


7. Hill Blue Flycatcher - King's Park

Sticking with the urban theme, another gem appeared at a different park in Kowloon, this rare flycatcher was stunning to look at and was not shy to show it off.



8. Brambling - Po Toi

An outing with Dave Bickerton to our very own migrant magnet during spring, it wasn't hugely exciting and the lack of flycatchers reflected that, although Dave found me a brilliant looking male Brambling on the day, a species I have not seen in Hong Kong for a long while. It was probably more exciting for me then it was for him who sees them often in the UK, still a great bird I reckon!


9. Mandarin Duck - Shatin

An eclipse male found at close proximity to our church at Shatin was a great bird not to be missed before sunday service! It was not shy at all, and on the day we visited gave absolutely stunning views at close range. Shame it wasn't in it's glorious plumage, but this will do for now.


10. Brown Fish Owl - Cheung Chau

This is certainly not a rarity, but it's not a bird you see everyday. A pair of these great looking owls frequented the bay at Cheung Chau and on the day I visited gave particularly great views while perched on a tree! Even some of the local residents came along to enjoy the sight of such a powerful owl in their neighbourhood.


11. Eurasian Eagle Owl - Mai Po

This is a rather sad highlight, but definitely one to remember. This powerful owl was found perched on the ground next to the footpath, to be so close to the largest owl on earth was really something. Although it was later clear something was wrong with the bird and by the end of the day it was taken away by AFCD, it did not survive captivity for long. A sad end for such a magnificent bird.


12. Siberian Blue Robin - Ho Man Tin

A species I've waited so long to get in Hong Kong despite it being an annual bird. Finally, one at Ho Man Tin gave me this long overdue Hong Kong tick and the start of the incredible autumn run.


13. Rook - Tai Sang Wai

Part of a series of rarities in November, this is the 1st confirmed record for Hong Kong. A very nice addition to the Hong Kong list and a long staying rarity that I think is still present at Tai Sang Wai.


14. Black Redstart - Long Valley

Getting this and the Rook on the same day was an absolute joy, this energetic little bird certainly brightened up November for everyone. Previous record of this species had always been short staying birds, so it was nice to finally get a very long staying one so everyone could enjoy it.


15. Pallas's Reed Bunting - Tai Sang Wai

Another great looking bunting from Tai Sang Wai, feeding along a stretch of road, this was a species that I've wanted to see in Hong Kong for a long time, glad to have this guy on my 2017 list.


16. House Sparrow - Long Valley

I wasn't expecting to find a House Sparrow, but one turned up anyway during autumn. Likely one of the commonest bird world wide, this is a rarity in Hong Kong.


17. Tundra Bean Goose - Mai Po

This is not a Hong Kong tick, but it's been a while since we got some Beans! When I heard four of these dropping into Mai Po I just got to go take a look at them. Geese had became an annual event in Hong Kong now, for whatever reason we do not know, but I am not complaining.


18. Ultramarine Flycatcher - Shek Kong Catchment

This tiny little flycatcher found by John Allcock was one of the great birds that turned up in December. There were two flycatchers that are high on my wish list in Hong Kong, the Slaty-backed Flycatcher which I missed again this year and this species, so I am glad to have caught up with at least one of the two.


19. Rufous-faced Warbler - Bride's Pool

It was a long time ago since my dad and I last saw one of these at Tai Po Kau, so I was glad to be able to refresh my memory with this beautiful warbler. 


20. Chestnut-crowned Warbler - Lung Fu Shan

Despite this not being that rare, I've missed this warbler many times. A long staying bird at Lung Fu Shan finally gave me this long awaited Hong Kong tick. I was especially fortunate to be able to observe it at close range on my own on a cool morning.


21. Small Niltava - Lung Fu Shan

Temperaments of Small Niltavas seems to varies greatly, from quite bold to very shy. A bird found at Lung Fu Shan was somewhere in between, it doesn't show very well for most of the time, but for a few minutes one late afternoon during my visit, this beautiful male perched at eye levels while singing away, allowing me to grab a few good photos.


22. Crested Kingfisher - Bride's Pool

Last but not least, a Crested Kingfisher I managed to relocate after John Allcock's initial discovery along Ting Kok Road. I heard the bird from Chung Mei near Bride's Pool and found the bird after following it's call. This had been very high on my wish list and very glad to finally nailing this huge kingfisher! Certainly a bird that will make you go "Wow" when you see it.


So, there you are, my top birds of 2017, and the list went on for much longer then I expected. Hopefully we will have an even longer list then this for 2018!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on a great year Matthew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've had a great 2017, it's a fitting reward for your hard work and time in the field..

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful year in review, Matt. It's a year that most of us would love to replicate - and I am sure YOU will!

    ReplyDelete